Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Late afternoon


Late afternoon - the lowering sun releases soft rays, spilling hazily into long deep shadows, and lighting up playful sparkles in white-water of the waves. Gazing at whispers of magic slow-dancing on a global lazer-beam.

How this image came into being

The other day, on walk in the late afternoon, I was armed with my camera and had no plans. Then I noticed a stretch of the see that looked rather magical. I started snapping away at the sparkles, waves and rocks. I was taking the photos into the sun using a macro setting which produced the starry-effect I love so much, and also the very over-exposed two-tone appearance of the waves and the rocks. Before I knew it, I had taken 270 photos and my card was full, and I had to quit. It was so much fun.

Then a day or two later at home, the stitching together began. I chose about 25 of the photos to make up an imaginary scene similar to the one I saw, but including all the different dynamics which happened at different moments, into one image and this 'photo' came about. It is 2.5 meters by 1.05 meters, which is an aspect of the golden ratio. Also used the golden ratio to create the basic layout, and to determine the position of the sun's shine line and the other focus areas of the image.

I was hoping to achieve simplicity, removing detail and leaving aspects of the image open to the imagination. The seven sets of waves and the extra out-of-focus edges of the photo can bring the observer into a very tranquil meditative state.

I think this huge landscape image would look very nice above a black leather couch, on a red or other warm colored wall. Or next to a dining room table - as the dynamism of the waves would reflect conversations and vibrant activities. Also, it could work in an entrance hall of an office or meeting room, to reflect the dynamism and energy of the company and its people.

And now, my next challenge is to find a way to get it sold :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors